Boston winters are cold and while we can still enjoy skiing and other outdoor activities, we are likely to stay indoors and hold holiday parties and splashes.
Enjoy the party, but with the festivities spills, splashes, and other party-time mishaps, as well as wear alone, can take their toll on expensive formal wear such as tuxedos and evening gowns.
Many formal wear garments are made of luxurious fabrics, such as taffeta, moire, satin, organza, metallic prints, silk, and velvet. Each of these fabrics require care in both wear and cleaning. Here are some tips to keep that outfit looking great:
- Treat stains immediately to avoid damage.
- Blot stains; do not rub. Rubbing a spot on sheer fabrics, such as organza, can cause the yarns to slip, tear the fabric, or chafe the fabric surface.
- Shake excess spills from velvets and allow to dry. Do not blot or apply any pressure in damp areas.
- Satin (especially smooth satin), taffeta, and metallic fabrics are especially susceptible to abrasion damage and snagging. Take care when wearing jewelry or around rough edges.
- Perfume, deodorant, hair spray, and makeup can be damaging to these fabrics. Apply before you dress and make sure everything is completely dry.
After the party, remember to have your formal wear cleaned before storage. Utopia Cleaners offers a fine dry cleaning service for valuable garments that required individual attention. Bring them to one of our drycleaners nearby or schedule a dry cleaning pickup today!