While your favorite coat may be keeping you warm this month, we all have jackets and blazers that we use through the year and these pieces of clothing can take a beating. The care method for a coat will depend on its fiber content. For example, coats made of wool, leather, and suede may require more care than coats made of other fibers.
For the most part, follow these tips to help keep your coats looking great year round:
- Wear scarves to avoid soiling the collar, especially for leather and suede coats. Oily stains from hair and skin preparations can permanently stain some fabrics.
- Clean the coat whenever it is soiled. For wool coats, brush with a soft suede brush after each use. Brushing removes surface soil and lint. Blot spills with a paper towel or absorbent cloth immediately to absorb the moisture. Do not rub. Rubbing will push the spill deeper into the fabric.
- Make an effort to clean the coat once during the season and again before storing.
- When cleaning, make sure you follow the instructions on the care label. When in doubt, ask your Boston dry cleaner, Utopia Cleaners.
- When storing, hang your coat on a padded hanger in a well-ventilated closet. Avoid hanging a coat by its neck on a coat rack. For off season storage, place it in a garment bag. This will help to prevent insect bites.
Coats, blazers and jackets are usually expensive garments. Keeping them in top condition will not only safeguard your investment and avoid having to buy new ones, you will also look impressive and outstanding in them.
Utopia Cleaners serves customers in the Greater Boston area. Bring your coats and jackets to our dry cleaners or schedule a dry cleaning pickup today!