Leather clothing should be cleaned and stored with care every year to maintain its beauty. Leather clothing can be tricky to take care of on your own. They aren’t usually worn on a daily basis, so they can be susceptible to mold and mildew accumulation. Mold or mildew on leather can be extremely hard to remove, and you want to be careful about using certain products or tools that could potentially damage your garment. Read on for our tips to remove mold and mildew on leather.
What to Avoid While Cleaning Leather
Before you begin to treat your leather garment or item yourself, there are some things you should be aware of:
- Do not use detergent on leather and never wash them in a washing machine.
- Always spot-test a small area of the item before using any cleaning products.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions exactly when using a leather cleaning product.
The Wipe-Off Method
Some mold or mildew on leather can be wiped off fairly easily, depending on the location and age of the stain. To try this method, follow these steps:
- Make sure your leather garment or item is completely dry before beginning.
- Using a soft damp cloth, gently wipe off the mold or mildew. This will only work if the item is completely dry.
- Allow the item to dry again.
- Using a leather cleaner or mild soap, thoroughly clean the entire item.
- Allow the item to dry completely.
Using Dish Soap Detergent
Alternatively you can also try to use a mild dish soap detergent and water; apply the soap mixture to the area using a soft-bristled toothbrush, and apply a dab of vinegar to help disinfect the stain. You should wear a mask to avoid breathing in mold particles.
In the video below, professional cleaner Rachel Yatuzis demonstrates how to clean mold from a leather jacket.
Trust the Professionals With Your Leather Garments
If cleaning your leather clothing at home didn’t turn out the way you’d hoped, or if you’d rather just leave it to the experts, take your garment to your Boston dry cleaner, Utopia Cleaners. Experienced professional dry cleaners have equipment and products that far exceed the capabilities of at-home leather cleaning products. When it comes to mold or mildew on leather, don’t risk damaging your valuable garments, take it your dry cleaner nearby.
About Utopia Cleaners
Utopia Cleaners offers dry cleaning and laundry services to the communities in Boston, Cambridge, Newton, Arlington, Woburn, Brookline, Everett, Chelsea, Medford, Belmont, Winchester, and Lexington via dry cleaning delivery service and laundry pickup service. Other services include alterations, wedding gown preservation and shirt laundry.