The American National Standards Institute, Inc. approved the Fair Claims Guide for Consumer Textile Products. This standard provides the guidelines for determining
liability for claims adjustment purposes for textile products. It also includes the following life expectancy chart for household textile items:
Life Expectancy Table
|Blankets – Heavy Wool and Synthetic Fibers||ten years|
|Blankets – Lightweight||five years|
|Blankets – Electric||five years|
|Curtains – Sheer||three years|
|Curtains – Glass Fiber||three years|
|Draperies – Lined||five years|
|Draperies – Unlined||four years|
|Draperies – Sheer||three years|
|Draperies – Glass Fiber||four years|
|Sheets and Pillow Cases||two years|
|Table Linen – Fancy||five years|
|Table Linen – Other||two years|
|Upholstery Fabrics||five years|
|Articles Coated or Flocked||two years|
How long the items last also depends on selection. Consider the following before purchasing a household product:
- Will the material be durable?
- Will the fabric resist stains and soil?
- Are there any protective coatings of finishes available that will prolong the useful life of the textile?
- Is the fabric preshrunk?
- Is the fabric resistant to light, fading or pollution?
- Do any care instructions come with the purchase? Read all instructions or information before buying the item.
Proper care will always help prolong the beauty of the household textile. Here
are some basic rules to protect and prolong the beauty of household
- Protect all furnishings from sunlight, fumes, and pets.
- Damage, like tears, should be repaired immediately.
- Vacuum and/or brush to remove dust regularly.
- Follow the manufacturer’s cleaning recommendations.
- Do not allow the item to become extremely soiled, and have any stains removed immediately.
- Clean household textiles before storing.
Utopia Cleaners is here to help you keep your blankets, comforters, table linens, drapes and other household fabrics clean and beautiful. Schedule a free dry cleaning pickup and delivery of your household items today!