Now that winter is over, it’s time to store away all those winter clothes until next season. Follow these simple rules to keep your winter fashions looking good season after season.
- Wash and dry clean everything before storage. Some stains that are now invisible may darken with age. Dirt and food are also invitations to insects.
- Make all necessary repairs—sew sagging hemlines, replace missing buttons, and fix split seams— before cleaning and storing for the season. To save time, take advantage of alterations services at the local dry cleaner.
- Store all items in a cool, well-ventilated area. Hot attics, damp basements, and garages are to be avoided.
- Store away from natural and artificial light. A cool, dark closet is a good location for storage. Store woolens in cedar chests or other airtight containers. Second choices for storage are cloth or canvas bags and cardboard boxes. If you store your garments in a closet, drape a cloth sheet over your clothes to protect them from dust and light. Do not store leathers, furs, and woolens in plastic. Plastic encourages moisture, which can create mildew in clothes.
- Pack airtight containers (other than cedar chests) with mothballs suspended above or separate from the clothes— never place mothballs directly on the clothes. Cedar blocks or chips also discourage moths.
- To decrease wrinkles in sweaters, fold them and wrap in white tissue paper before storing. If you hang your sweaters, fold over the cross bar to avoid shoulder stretches.
- Down, like all winter clothing, should be cleaned (either washed or dry cleaned according to the care label) before storage. Down coats should be stored loosely to allow for air circulation.
- Furs should be stored on a well-padded hanger in a cool, dark place, ideally with a professional fur storage company or a dry cleaner with fur storage capacity.
If you do not have proper storage space, call us about box storage. You can get your clothes cleaned, properly stored in a cool, dry environment and have them ready to wear next winter. Put your winter clothing in your VIP bag and schedule a free dry cleaning pickup today!