Cleaning Draperies, Bedspreads and Comforters
We know that creating that special ambiance in your home took time. Whether your home furnishings are custom-made or off-the-shelf, to prevent damage from the sunshine and humidity in Boston’s summers, all household items need a thorough professional dry cleaning from time to time to extend their useful life. That’s where we come in.
Utopia Cleaners clean and restore a lot of draperies. With proper care, draperies made of an average grade of fabric can be expected to last three to five years. A higher price does not necessarily mean that they will last longer than less expensive draperies.
The greatest concern with draperies is the conditions they are exposed to in your home. That’s why we carefully examine and evaluate them before undertaking any cleaning procedures.
- Sunlight can discolor and weaken fabric resulting in a shredding of the drapes after a cleaning process.
- Exposure to moisture and humidity from rain, window condensation, leaks, or pet stains can cause dye bleeding and stubborn water rings
that may be impossible to remove.
- If the fabric has not been properly preshrunk, dry cleaning, laundering, or wet cleaning can cause shrinkage. Manufacturing industry standards allow two to four percent shrinkage in household fabrics—a significant amount on a ceiling-to-floor length drapery. Loosely woven fabrics or those made of rayon and acetate blends are more susceptible to shrinkage. Separate linings, on the other hand, may not shrink at the same rate.
- Insulated or reflective coated backing may degrade to the point that some of the coating actually comes off.
- The combined effects of age, moisture, light, heat, smoke, and other atmospheric soils can cause fabrics to become permanently discolored. Unfortunately, even with the greatest precautions, after draperies and other fabric window coverings are cleaned, existing damage will some times become evident. For this reason, we discuss possible results before cleaning and require customer consent prior to undertaking any requested service.
Bedspreads and Comforters
Sometimes we are asked to clean bedspreads and comforters simply because of their size. Other times it’s because the care instructions read “professional care is best.” Save any care instructions, as they may be on a temporary label or on the packaging instead of being attached to the item since care labels are not required on household items. We strongly suggest that all matching or coordinating items are cleaned at the same time. This way any color changes, however minimal, will be uniform. Whatever the circumstance, we double check all available information and examine the fabric and construction before beginning any cleaning process.
Utopia Cleaners is dedicated to helping you maintain the beauty of your draperies, bedspreads and comforters. For more information or if you have any special needs, contact us at 617-695-3778.
About Utopia Cleaners
Utopia Cleaners offers dry cleaning and laundry services to the communities in Boston, Cambridge, Newton, Arlington, Woburn, Brookline, Everett, Chelsea, Medford, Belmont, Winchester, and Lexington via dry cleaning delivery service and laundry pickup service. Other services include alterations, wedding gown preservation and shirt laundry.
Image Copyright: aopsan / 123RF Stock Photo